Re: [apt] Sets of packages that run the same command.

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 10:36:14AM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  `mkfontdir' is run too many times.  It would be cool if a set of
>  packages, like the xfonts-* ones, could register a command to be run
>  later, (like on a hook variable in emacs) and have it called after
>  all of them have been installed.
>
>  `update-menus' does a similar thing; I think it probably forks to the
>  background if it's the first one, then continues when `dpkg' releases
>  the lock.

ldconfig is yet another. I've often thought a few new fields could be
added to the packages to support this. Something like:

(since pre commands don't make sense in this respect, we only need a
completion command)

Config-Command: ldconfig, update-menus

Dpkg registers these commands only once for each package it installs, and
runs it only once when it enters (the start) of the configuration phase.
We could make a hardcoded set of programs to allow, but that would only
enforce policy. Since the real post/pre scripts can run anything anyway,
there shouldn't be any extra concern for security, so long as a proper
message is output when executing it. I also think it should remain limited
to a single command with no options.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '