Re: freedomization task list [was: Re: Dangerous precedent being

At 11:39 -0800 1999-12-07, Joseph Carter wrote:
>The primary reason pine is still non-free is that they limit distribution
>to CD and I think ftp because when they fixed the license last the people
>doing the fixing were told about needing to be able to distribute it both
>places.

No it's not, it's because binaries made from modified source are not
distributable.

>It might just be simpler for everybody to talk to UW about it.  Life would
>be much easier if they just BSD'd it or put it under Artistic (yuk) or
>something..

If UW *wanted* a free license, they would have kept the license they *had*
years ago which was free. Instead they changed it to the evil non-free
license *and* legally threatened anyone who tried to fork from the last
free pine. Does this sound like an organization that gives a damn about
free software to you?
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>