Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> I tried viewing .png's created by Gimp yesterday via Communicator
> 4.7 and it claimed that it didn't know what to do with them.  What's
> the story here?

Maybe you installed plugger and didn't fix the broken /etc/pluggerrc,
which tries view PNG images via xloadimage (which doesn't support
PNG).  This is a known bug in plugger (#49409, #37903, #44915), don't
ask me, why this is still not fixed.

To work around this problem, simply remove the image/png and
image/x-png entries from /etc/pluggerrc, the PNG support of Netscape
is much better than the one of the plugins (also better than
ImageMagick).

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--