Re: The end of GIF format [was : Dangerous precedent being set - possible serious violation of the GPL ]

One questions, is it legal to generate a GIF on the fly to transmit over
the Internet?  I'm thinking of something along the lines of a site where
certain image formats could be uploaded to a web site and converted to
GIF.  I seem to remember hearing about some loop-hole about the patent
only applying to GIF images that were going to be stored and not to the
transmision of them.  The theory was, if a png/bmp/jpg was converted to
GIF format as the output of a cgi-bin, it was OK.  Once the data leaves
the originating machine, anything can happen to it.

--
  Robin Burgener / Linux Kernel Group / Corel Corporation
  mailto: robinb@corel.com

  20Q, the neural-net on the Internet - http://www.20q.net