Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

* Goswin Brederlow (goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de) [991201 12:47]:
> Michael Neuffer <neuffer@alpha.mz.rhein-main.de> writes:
> > I know it doesn't quite fit here, but with SUNs native compiler for
> > SPARC you can indeed measure a speedup of almost 600% if you
> > compile gzip optimized for Ultra SPARC (v9) instead of normal
> > SPARC architecture.
> >
> > We measured that almost 1 year ago mainly on large files (DB dumps
> > of about 1GB file size).
> >
> > Since then we use architecture specific versions for things like gzip
> > and it makes a temendous difference in many occasions. The difference
> > between 20 minutes and 2 hours to gzip, transfer and archive DB dumps
> > can be and is indeed (for us at my current customer site at least)
> > business critical.
>
> Make the gzip package create a gzip and gzip_ultra_sparc deb packages
> and send the patches to the maintainer. I`m sure he will include that
> in the distribution if done cleanly. Same maybe for gcc, xaos,
> xfractin and ssystem.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear.
This is under Solaris running on SUN Starfires (64 CPUs/64GB RAM each).

As much as I'd like to run Linux on them (and you can indeed run it on
them), Linux is not up to the task we use them for yet.

Mike