Re: ramblings about old hardware, gzip, bz2, and pentium opts

* Jason Gunthorpe (jgg@ualberta.ca) [991130 03:45]:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > > A better test is to use gzip on a large file from cache or some other
> > > integer program.
>
> > Well I tried that some time ago and I was unable to find any significant
> > speed differances. (Although making sure gzip gets the large file from cache
> > is a PITA).
>
> I remember the Stampede people claiming quite a gain on gzip with pgcc vs
> gcc? Could their results simply have been tainted by the fact that gcc
> 2.7.2 is really bad? :>

I know it doesn't quite fit here, but with SUNs native compiler for
SPARC you can indeed measure a speedup of almost 600% if you
compile gzip optimized for Ultra SPARC (v9) instead of normal
SPARC architecture.

We measured that almost 1 year ago mainly on large files (DB dumps
of about 1GB file size).

Since then we use architecture specific versions for things like gzip
and it makes a temendous difference in many occasions. The difference
between 20 minutes and 2 hours to gzip, transfer and archive DB dumps
can be and is indeed (for us at my current customer site at least)
business critical.

Mike