Re: errors during recent dist-upgrades

On Mon, 1999-11-08 at 21:39:47 -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
>
> > I had a similar problem when installing potato (locally mirrored and a few
> > weeks behind) onto a new computer. I got a lot of errors from dpkg saying
> > "dependency problem prevent configuration of foo" because "foo depends on bar
> > which is not configured yet".
>
> Did any maintainer scripts fail before that point?
>
> > I was sure it is a dpkg problem but realized it must be apt's fault - running
> > dpkg --configure -a worked like a charm and configured everything.
>
> Well, that doesn't mean anything really. Dpkg could be incorrectly
> ordering when given a list of things to do, or APT could have a problem or
> it could be the above due to a missing depends
>
> > It might be of interest that I installed about 300 packages. Maybe we are
> > hitting the limit for command line length here? I mean apt-get calling
> >
> > dpkg --configure <pkgname>*200
> >
> > might overflow the commandline I guess...
>
> It does, but APT magically takes care of that by invoking dpkg multiple
> times.

Pardon me for intruding, but I experienced a dist-upgrade last weekend
that seems an example of the behavior you are talking about.
I did save the typescript; here's an excerpt showing the initial conditions
and the error message from dpkg.
I don't see any obvious examples of failing maintainer scripts in the log.
If you want more info, or want me to search the log for anything,
just let me know. --- Keith

====== begin excerpt from typescript of apt-get dist-upgrade ================

Script started on Sun Oct 31 10:09:51 1999
1999-10-31 44x7+0=4+304 10:09:51 UCT
[3] # time apt-get --quiet dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  boot-floppies gmp2 lesstifg libpam0g-util most newt0.25 newt0.25-dev popt python-net rgrep sgmlspm xproc
  ash cracklib-runtime cracklib2 debconf gconv-modules gettext-base lesstif1 libbz2 libc5 libgd1g libgd1g-dev libglib1.2 libgmp2 libgtk1.2 liblockfile1
  libnewt0 libpam-cracklib libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpcre2 libpopt-dev libpopt0 librecode0 libsgmls-perl libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 libtimedate-perl
  liburi-perl libwrap0 lockfile-progs mc-common nfs-common perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base perl-5.004-doc perl-5.004-suid pointerize sgmlspl tcpd tetex-lib tix41
The following packages have been kept back
  kbd libmime-base64-perl perlmagick slice xbooks
326 packages upgraded, 40 newly installed, 12 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 193MB of archives. After unpacking 53.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

============================== rather large snip ===========================

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wordnet-base:
 wordnet-base depends on wordnet; however:
  Package wordnet is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing wordnet-base (--configure):

 wordnet-base

E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)

real	121m48.501s
user	16m3.340s
sys	5m48.700s