Re: errors during recent dist-upgrades

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 09:39:47PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > I had a similar problem when installing potato (locally mirrored and a few
> > weeks behind) onto a new computer. I got a lot of errors from dpkg saying
> > "dependency problem prevent configuration of foo" because "foo depends on
> > bar which is not configured yet".
>
> Did any maintainer scripts fail before that point?

On the first install there was a problem with the removal of the pcmcia-cs
package but on all other systems I removed that beforehand. I did not see
any error messages from maintainer scripts. All errors were signaled by
dpkg.

> Well, that doesn't mean anything really. Dpkg could be incorrectly
> ordering when given a list of things to do, or APT could have a problem or
> it could be the above due to a missing depends

Yes - but I don't think that dpkg uses a different ordering code when
given a list of packages. And in case I did not miss any error messages
of failing maintainer scripts that flew by it can't be missing dependencies
if dpkg fails just because of a dependency...

> It does, but APT magically takes care of that by invoking dpkg multiple
> times.

Okay - I wasn't sure it does because I never actually installed that much
packages at a single apt run...

cu
    Torsten