Re: Status of Potato

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:

> Potato looks ready to freeze.  Its primary goals have been achieved,

I thought that one of the primary goals was to have a *reduced* number of
release-critical bugs. In this sense, this goal has not been achieved yet.

> [...] A lot of bugs can be fixed in that time.  This period
> will be similar to the traditional freeze.

What do you mean exactly? Debian tradition (unfortunately) is to have long
freeze periods, much longer than expected. I certainly hope this will not
be similar!

In either case, if it's true that a lot of bugs can be fixed in a short
time, there will be no much harm in delaying the freeze a week or two.
On the contrary, if it turns to be that fixing RC bugs is not as easy as
it may seem, freezing now may result in a long freeze period, something
that we always wanted to avoid "for the future" but we are near to repeat
again.

> Before the freeze, we will have to deal with the backlog in Incoming
> somehow.  There are more than 200 packages in it now and it's growing.
> Help is on the way, but probably not in time.  In any case, I do not
> think it is wise to install a hundred new packages just before the
> freeze! [...]

Is this not a clear sign that we should first deal with the backlog in
Incoming and only then we should think about the freeze?

No, I don't have any new packages in incoming either, but uploading
something for unstable and see how it ends up in "another" unstable is
very frustrating.

Thanks.

--
 "57c4bb7f72e89625b264d470859fce1c" (a truly random sig)