Re: Status of Potato

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:27:48AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:
>
> > Potato looks ready to freeze.  Its primary goals have been achieved,
>
> I thought that one of the primary goals was to have a *reduced* number of
> release-critical bugs. In this sense, this goal has not been achieved yet.
>
> > [...] A lot of bugs can be fixed in that time.  This period
> > will be similar to the traditional freeze.
>
> What do you mean exactly? Debian tradition (unfortunately) is to have long
> freeze periods, much longer than expected. I certainly hope this will not
> be similar!

This tradition will continue with potato.  With the new busybox, ftp/http
install, dhcp, and task management system...potato will be in a 3 month
freeze if it is started on the 7th.  Adam has expressed this publicly, but
it seems that people just don't believe the boot-floppies team.  We've been
asking for help for months now, I don't see how a freeze is going to bring
flood of people.  Might as well delay the freeze for two months so we don't
have a bunch of stale packages again.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com