Re: all xterms

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:04:39AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 10:00:35PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > alternatives are completely unintuitive, also look at this situation:
> > user use footerm as his normal xterm. Then he installs barterm and
> > 'export XTERM=barterm' do all the work. After testing he got disliking
> > barterm so he installs quuxterm and 'export XTERM=quuxterm'. Then he
> > think quuxterm is also lame and 'export XTERM=footerm'. How much time
> > would it take by alternatives ???
>
> [I'm going to ignore the "unintuitive" flame.]
>
> For testing, why not just type name in at command line?

You dont see the reason why I want sensible-xterm.
We have sensible-editor and sensible-pager NOT BECAUSE it is
easier to write `sensible-editor' than `joe',`zed',`whatever'
nor `sensible-pager' because it is easier to write
`sensible-pager' than `more',`less',`whatever',
BUT BECAUSE they are called by other programs.
And the same about xterms. I do not want to write `sensible-xterm'
on bash, but I want other programs to run my favourite xterm
WITHOUT reconfiguring EACH ONE program, xwm and the whole menu system.

> But if you need other programs to call it:
>
> ln -sf `which footerm` $HOME/bin/x-terminal-emulator

If other programs run `xterm' this make it mare difficult to
use original xterm, and this will force me to mess with my PATH
and there are some programs using hardcoded paths
(its maintainer knows who I am talking about)
And if other programs use some wrapper (x-terminal-emulator)
why not sensible-xterm