Re: [dan@rebol.com: Re: unofficial REQUEST for support DEBIAN GNU/Linux]

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 10:16:00PM +0200, Raphael Bossek wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Dan Stevens <dan@rebol.com> -----
>
> We have the word non-transferable in our license.  We will not change
> the license wording for the end user.  But we can grant you or Debian
> or whomever requires it at a high level the right to redistribute
> REBOL.  However, we need your help in clarifying who that party or
> parties are that require the right to redistribution.

if the end-user can't redistribute it then it's non-free.

> This can be done with a simple agreement that we exchange by fax or
> email, whatever works for you and any other party that requires it.

debian doesn't sign licensing agreements.  ever.

if debian can't distribute REBOL without such an agreement then debian
can't distribute it at all.

> Will this work?

nope.

> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> Can someone answer this question? I intent to package REBOL...

you can package rebol, but:

1. IF we don't have to sign any agreement, it belongs in non-free

2. IF we do have to sign a distribution agreement, then it can't go in
debian at all. two options in that case are:

   a) if you're willing to sign an agreement personally, then you could
      put it up on your own homepage or web site
or
   b) contribute it back to the rebol people and ask them to put it on their
      web/ftp site.

craig

--
craig sanders