Re: Daemons and stoppages during upgrades.

    Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
    >> More specifically you can add lines like
    >>
    >> Package: sendmail
    >> Important: yes
    >>
    >> To /var/state/apt/userstatus (?) and APT will will follow your
    >> directions.

    Craig> this is a very useful thing to know.

Absolutely.

[SNIPped stuff about the admin having to know what he does...]

Agree with you, mostly.  But the system could be a little more
accomodating... and that userstatus stuff above, *and* that little
script of yours below is a step in that direction.  (Wichert, if you
see this: could you include said script in the dpkg package in some
way?)

    Craig> also, the apache package and various libapache-* packages
    Craig> handle upgrades particularly well - stopping and restarting
    Craig> the httpd in the postinst when required. where appropriate,
    Craig> other daemon packages could or should do the same...apache
    Craig> provides an excellent example of smoothly managing the
    Craig> upgrade of an important daemon package.

Yes, and apache is especially brain-dead when it comes to the
installed modules.  Either I choose the modules by hand (long and
tedious) or I let it do its automatic stuff... which doesn't look at
the *current* list of installed modules in any way.

So, when I do the automatic apache upgrade, I'll probably have a
non-working site afterwards... or at least a semi-functioning one.

(Oops, gotta submit a wishlist bug on that ;-)

[Left the script here for Wichert]

    Craig> ---cut here---
    Craig> #! /bin/bash

    Craig> # dpkg-hold  --  command line tool to flag package(s) as held.
    Craig> #
    Craig> # by Craig Sanders, 1998-10-26.  This script is hereby placed into the
    Craig> # public domain.
    Craig> #
    Craig> # BUGS: this script has absolutely no error checking.  this is not good.

    Craig> if [ -z "$*" ] ; then
    Craig> 	echo "Usage:"
    Craig> 	echo "      dpkg-hold <package...>"
    Craig> 	exit 1
    Craig> fi

    Craig> for i in $@ ; do
    Craig> 	echo "$i	hold"
    Craig> done | dpkg --set-selections
    Craig> ---cut here---

Bye, J

- --
Jürgen A. Erhard      eMail: jae@ilk.de      phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
         My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/~Juergen_Erhard
           "Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book;
           inside of a dog, it's very dark." --  Groucho Marx