Re: Daemons and stoppages during upgrades.

On Oct 23, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Erick Kinnee wrote:
>
> > I propose that we develop some sort of method to tag daemon packages as
> > such. This way apt/dpkg could know to stop them and unpack and configure
> > them ahead of all other packages if possible. This way during large
> > updates web/mail/ftp and other services are not stopped for very long.
> > Maybe this could be "Daemon: yes" in the control file...
>
> If you stick Important: yes with the packages then APT will do just that.
> More specifically you can add lines like
>
> Package: sendmail
> Important: yes
>
> To /var/state/apt/userstatus (?) and APT will will follow your directions.

On slow systems, this is problematic (since every Important/Essential
package causes a new dpkg iteration).  Where possible, packages should
take the approach of syslog, which restarts in the postinst (and
doesn't stop during the installation step [prerm?] when being
upgraded).

I'm inclined to agree with Raul, that taking down daemons during
upgrades is a [damn annoying] bug in many of these packages.

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |        Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |       http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |