Re: Daemons and stoppages during upgrades.

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 06:26:12PM -0500, Erick Kinnee wrote:
> I was upgrading my firewall/webserver/router today and noticed something
> that I think should be changed. During apt-get dist-upgrade I had
> 30-35MB of packages to update. It seems sendmail was one of the first to
> get unpacked, and at that time sendmail was stopped. Now, the upgrade
> continued for 45 minutes to an hour (not the fastest machine around)...
> During this time all mail was DEAD, I saw many smtp connections logged
> but sendmail had been stopped during the upgrade.

I've now twice cursed myself for doing the same thing with our nfs
server that serves home directories to 8 workstations :-(

The nfs-server package is another candidate for Important status.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed