Daemons and stoppages during upgrades.

Hi all,

I was upgrading my firewall/webserver/router today and noticed something
that I think should be changed. During apt-get dist-upgrade I had
30-35MB of packages to update. It seems sendmail was one of the first to
get unpacked, and at that time sendmail was stopped. Now, the upgrade
continued for 45 minutes to an hour (not the fastest machine around)...
During this time all mail was DEAD, I saw many smtp connections logged
but sendmail had been stopped during the upgrade.

I propose that we develop some sort of method to tag daemon packages as
such. This way apt/dpkg could know to stop them and unpack and configure
them ahead of all other packages if possible. This way during large
updates web/mail/ftp and other services are not stopped for very long.
Maybe this could be "Daemon: yes" in the control file...

Erick Kinnee
cerb@debian.org

--
"There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it
is I'll get married again."