Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 12:47:04PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 02:04:01AM -0400, Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> ... skipped ...
> > >
> > > Ok, so lets create a data section, one that doesn't get mirrored the same as
> > > the rest of debian. One that does not have source package, or at least not in
> > > the current form (for the GMT-full coastline, that would be 47MB source and
> > > 47MB binary). It is OK to create such a section, also required, there is no
> > > reason why data does not have a right to be as neatly packaged as the rest of
> > > debian is. Maybe creating a ftp.data.debian.org or something like that would be
> > > good here.
> > >
> > > Friendly,
> > >
> > > Sven LUTHER
> > >

> > If I can suggests, between providing only the binaries or the sources,
> > I suggest the source only solution.
> > Pros:
> > * Source are more "complete" than binaries (Prisitine source+diff)
> > * apt-get source -b can handle them quite easily [especially that compilation
> >   it's quite easy for this kind of pacakge ;-]
> > Cons:
> > * Take at least three time (source+build package+installation) the place
> >   to install for new install, four times on upgrade!
> > * No current way to make dselect or even apt dependencies-checker aware
> >   of the binaries file.
>
> Ok, these are good point, but we were speaking about data packages, that don't
> get compiled, just packaged.
>
> We could have a integrated source-and-binary package type, that would use a
> preinst script to put all stuff in their right place. No need for a source
> package containing the 47 MB of the gmt coastline, and another binary
> package containing the same 47MB of data, without any change, apart adding some
> debian stuff to it, and moving it around a bit.

I agree with you and that's what I proposed in the second part of the email
I send. We need source package to have pristine source. We need package
to have meta-data about data.tar.gz stuff. My suggestions contains in the
second part of the email you cite give you a package who use the source
.orig.tar.gz as it data.tar.gz. It provides you also some way to move thing
around and let you install all this stuff usign dpkg (so you get all
the advantage of dpkg-divert, overwrite protection and clean removal).

> Friendly,
>
> Sven LUTHER

Amicalement, ;)

Fabien Ninoles

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70