Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 05:07:58AM -0500, Andrew G . Feinberg wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 01:43:42AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> >
> > We badly need to prune stuff and be more efficient.
> This means restraint. There is a desire to package anything and everything
> that might be useful to someone, but quite frankly I think that we need to
> go through the package list, and remove stuff. lots of stuff. stuff that
> we determine just doesn't need to be there. we can put it somewhere other
> than main, or just dump it. either way, we need to reduce the size of the
> distribution that is sold in CD format (5 CDs? i know we have source but
> this is getting absurd!) and trim the mirrored portion of the archive (we
> need to decide what exactly should be mirrored, which is another advantage
> to more stringently regulate what goes in main.
>
> Debian _is_ bloated. This is a good thing, and it also really sucks. We
> need to find a balance between offering users choice and variety of
> applications, and maintaining a sane ftp archive and keeping the number of
> CDs reasonable (four at maximum I would think.) Some stuff just doesn't
> need to be distributed to everyone when its use is so narrow in scope.

What happened to the data section project, this gmt package is just data, the
worlds coastline in very detailled format i think. It is useful, and is not a
bloat. A bloat was when there were more than two version of the x sources
around, the normal one and one for ARM or something like that.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER