Re: perhaps sort by priority?

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 05:30:35PM +0200, filipvr@carlsberg.office.xs4all.be wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 05:03:24PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > What's wrong with downloading cdimages if you're going to download every
> > file anyway? I don't see this as a problem. A more troubling question in
> > my mind is, "why are you downloading everything to make a cd?"
>
> Two things are wrong: downloading the images appears to be equally
> filling the bandwith than downloading separate files

Right. They're equivalent, so that point's moot.

> according to cdimages.debian.org you should only do this as a last
> resort, and people have been doing a lot of work so you could avoid
> this);

Because in most cases people don't need all of the stuff in cdimages.
Too many people download 1+GB of cd images so they can install 200MB of
packages. This is a moot point if your alternative is to mirror the
whole tree.

> and second there's the chance of failures - you'll be a lot
> worse if a >600 Mb download gets interrupted than even when some 20 Mb
> data package does.

If you're not using a tool that can handle this kind of failure
gracefully when downloading a 600MB file you deserve what you get.
Resume-download isn't exactly a new-fangled feature.

Mike Stone