Re: hc-cron [Re: anacron/apm issue]

>> I seek advice on the following apparent problem in the latest potato:
>>
>> Problem: if you suspend your laptop for more than 3 hours, cron
>> ignores any jobs scheduled during the interval. Therefore if, for
>> example, you suspend each night and start work around 10, your 0730
>> anacron invocation will never run. Nor will your 0342 dlocate db
>> update.
>>
>> Fix: add an extra anacron invocation on wakeup, in /etc/apm/event.d.
>> Also move daily jobs from /etc/crontab & /etc/cron.d to
>> /etc/cron.daily where appropriate, so they will be run by anacron in
>> the above case.
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1. is the above analysis correct ?
>> 2. if so, where should the bugreport(s) go - cron/anacron/apmd/dlocate ?

I am not certain why this problem occurs.  Until a very recent update I could
suspend my laptop overnight and run all my cron jobs in the morning, it all
worked well.
I don't understand what is going on with anacron and why it's necessary to
change things specially (I do not want to do a special wake-up script for
this).
I reported this as a bug against one of these packages, I think it was cron.

>Just so you know, someone has written a cron replacement called "hc-cron"
>that solves this problem:

This problem occurred because of a change in the cron package.  The solution
is not to use a different cron (although it may solve other problems).  The
solution is to keep the same functionality available in cron as has always
been there.

--
I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.