Re: New dpkg upload - please test!

[Caution: I'm leaving debian-devel and debian-users in the To: line.
Please remove debian-users if your response is intended only for
debian-devel -- and vice versa.]

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 06:14:15PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> To what end? No offence is intended to any maintainers, but
> some of the splits lately seem a bit pointless to me. After recent
> runs of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I've been left without telnet,
> ftp and rlogin; these are so small it hardly seems worth the
> effort of separating them.

In addition to the tip by Wichert, I'd like to warn that
apt-get dist-upgrade is designed to uninstall less important packages
if that would let a more important package upgrade to a new version.

In my opinion, these semantics are only worthwhile on a relatively
new installation where you're trying to work out the wrinkles.
apt-get upgrade semantics are considerably safer.

--
Raul