Re: New dpkg upload - please test!

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 10:29:37AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 06:14:15PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > >   * Move dselect into its own package
> >
> > To what end? No offence is intended to any maintainers, but some of
> > the splits lately seem a bit pointless to me.
> Dselect isn't quite that small, and it isn't essential as dpkg is...

given that we don't yet have a viable alternative to dselect, it IS

lets wait until we actually have an alternative that works, and has been
tested for several months before we even think about making dselect

> anyhow, looking at the actual .changes file for latest dpkg in
> Incoming, there doesn't appear to be a dselect package.

bad news.  that's going to break a lot of systems.

> > After recent runs of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I've been left without
> > telnet, ftp and rlogin; these are so small it hardly seems worth the
> > effort of separating them.
> That should be fixed. Either by adding a Recommends: or any other more
> intellingent way. Upgrades should be smooth, and not crippling.

Recommends is evil. it should be treated exactly like Suggests, but it
is currently treated like a Suggests that won't take "No" for an answer.

at least, that's the way dselect currently handles it. apt just ignores
Recommends like it ignores Suggests....which is going to break a lot of
systems when dselect just vanishes after an upgrade.

craig sanders