Re: New dpkg upload - please test!

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 10:29:37AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 06:14:15PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > >   * Move dselect into its own package
> >
> > To what end? No offence is intended to any maintainers, but some of
> > the splits lately seem a bit pointless to me.
>
> Dselect isn't quite that small, and it isn't essential as dpkg is...

given that we don't yet have a viable alternative to dselect, it IS
essential.

lets wait until we actually have an alternative that works, and has been
tested for several months before we even think about making dselect
non-essential.

> anyhow, looking at the actual .changes file for latest dpkg in
> Incoming, there doesn't appear to be a dselect package.

bad news.  that's going to break a lot of systems.

> > After recent runs of 'apt-get dist-upgrade', I've been left without
> > telnet, ftp and rlogin; these are so small it hardly seems worth the
> > effort of separating them.
>
> That should be fixed. Either by adding a Recommends: or any other more
> intellingent way. Upgrades should be smooth, and not crippling.

Recommends is evil. it should be treated exactly like Suggests, but it
is currently treated like a Suggests that won't take "No" for an answer.

at least, that's the way dselect currently handles it. apt just ignores
Recommends like it ignores Suggests....which is going to break a lot of
systems when dselect just vanishes after an upgrade.

craig

--
craig sanders