Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 08:50:00PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > the "we-know-better-than-you" attitude is what redhat and caldera
> > (and microsoft, for that matter) does. it sucks. debian has always
> > done better than that - our way is to encourage people to learn to
> > do it for themself by not trying to hide the fact that knowledge and
> > experience is required (not just optional or "would be nice" but
> > absolutly required)
>
> You don't think that "you only can have one daemon for a particular
> service and it's going to be turned on by default" is representative
> of the "we-know-better-than-you" attitude?

no, because debian doesn't fuck up configuration by forcing you to
go though some stupid and limited GUI interface (try doing something
non-standard with network interface setup on RH and you'll know what
i mean - you can't do it...actually, you can if you spend enough time
figuring out their setup but you risk that your custom mods will be
blown away the next time someone runs the stupid GUI configurator).

debian's attitude is: if you want something different, DIY. and more
importantly, it lets you DIY.

craig

--
craig sanders