Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:34:28PM -0500, The Doctor What wrote:
> I do not like the idea of a daemon starting up with a default
> configuration that I have not double checked upon installation.  I
> consider automatically starting with no choice a misfeature.

I think I agree.

I got a rude start today when I saw messages of the form:
Sep 24 09:00:21 minion inetd[790]: linuxconf/tcp: unknown service

[linuxconf was going to provide a tcp service to enable people to
configure my machine and the only reason I stumbled across this was that
I'd customized my /etc/services file and hadn't merged in changes from
the .dpkg-dist copy?]

Perhaps there are people who want a "service enabled by default" policy,
and perhaps we should accomodate them.  However, I'm not one of them
and I don't want any services turned on on some of my machines without
my explicit ok.

Yes I'm aware that some of these services might not have any security
bugs.  So what?

--
Raul