Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 01:10:51AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Perhaps there are people who want a "service enabled by default" policy,
> and perhaps we should accomodate them.  However, I'm not one of them
> and I don't want any services turned on on some of my machines without
> my explicit ok.

then don't install those services. installing a package *IS* an explicit
OK.

you've been using debian long enough to know that this is the way it
works....and IMO, it is the way it should work. i don't want to have to
fuck around with explicitly turning services on when i install them - if
i didn't want them to run then i wouldn't have installed them.

what you are proposing is more work, more hassle, more stupid questions
to answer for every install.

if you want something different from the default then you can implement
in whatever way seems best to you for your systems - but don't force it
on everyone else.

craig

--
craig sanders