Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate functionality

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 04:30:45AM -0500, Francois Gurin wrote:

> Minimun hassle/inconvenience is mutually exclusive of minimum harm.
> Looking at the example set forth by some of the other distributions
> (and more than a few operating systems), the reduced hassle of
> installation and administration is traded for security (which I hope
> most people will agree is harmful).

this is a load of crap.

enabling daemons by default is not a security problem.

if a particular daemon is a security problem then it should be fixed or
dropped from the distribution. if the default configuration of a daemon
is a security problem then that config should be fixed or the package
dropped from the distribution.

craig

--
craig sanders