Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

Scott Barker wrote:
> Excellent. Hopefully if debconf gets folded into the base system, dpkg itself
> will be able to run this directly, rather than it be an extra step for the
> user. For example, instead of running (manually, or through apt):
>
> dpkg -i <package>
> dpkg-reconfigure
>
> you could just run:
>
> dpkg -i --reconfigure <package>
>
> I'm probably thinking too far ahead right now, though...

Not really. I named it dpkg-reconfigure for a reason. :-)

> How do you feel about moving the template file out of the debian/ control
> structure, and into the filesystem? If it was /etc/debconf/<package> instead
> of debian/templates, dpkg-repack could handle it (and I could start
> repackaging packages for use in my labs).

Oh, that's not the problem. Dpkg-repack should pick up that file fine. What
it won't pick up is the actual answers you've given to the questions, which
are stored in some debconf db somewhere.

--
see shy jo