Re: RfD: Preparing Debian 2.1r3

>If you could provide us with a makedev for slink, fixing only this
>one, I guess it would be easier to include.
>
>However, the Security Team is not responsible for updating stable with
>non-security updates.  We did this now as an exception because no
>Stable Release Manager was acting.  While working on this I was told
>that Vincent Renardias got this job, so you should probably get in
>touch with him.

I'm CC'ing the debian-release mail list.  I didn't understand that you
were only acting on behalf of the security team.  Admittedly the
makedev changes are only required to solve some rather nasty problems
in Debian/SPARC, and thusly, fall outside of your authority as an
agent of the security team.

All bureacracy aside, I very much *would* like to see an updated
boot-floppies including this makedev fix and a new version of
boot-floppies from the 2.1.11 version from the slink branch of the
boot-floppies CVS.  This fixes a number of documentation and
installation problems which ought to not wait for 2000.  However,
there is no pressing reason to delay 2.1r3 (the security fixes you are
doing) by waiting for a new boot-floppies.

Muddying the waters is the recent talk of a slink update, let's call
it Debian 2.1.1 (although some have proposed 2.2) which would move
from Linux 2.0 to 2.2, and include required updates for that as well
as updates to pcmcia-cs, any packages required for 2.2 compatability,
and IIRC an updated gnome and X Window System.  That sort of update
would definately require new boot-floppies and slink-cd....