RfD: Preparing Debian 2.1r3

Hi folks,

I'm preparing another subrelease of Slink alias Debian 2.1.  It will
be called Debian 2.1r3.  Only security-related or very important
updates will make it into another stable release.  The
proposed-updates directory contains about 150MB of packages.  Not all
of them are accepted.

Please take a look at the packages listed below and tell us your
comments if you disagree with our selection.

1. Packages selected for stable
-------------------------------

  These package will go into stable if we don't receive objections.

  package: remembrance-agent
  version: 1.41-6
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: copyright
      move to non-free (needs ftpmaster intervention for the overridefile)

  package: lpr
  version: 1:0.33-3
  architectures: m68k
  update type: security
      security-fix (switch to different lpr fork with a better codebase)
      m68k had the wrong version

  package: termcap-compat
  version: 1.1.1.1.0slink1
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, m68k, sparc
  update type: security
      fixes buffer overflow

  package: cfingerd
  version: 1.3.2-18.1
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, m68k, sparc
  update type: security
      backported securityfix

  package: epic
  version: pre2.003-0slink2
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: security
      potential DoS in the ANSI parser

  package: epic-help
  version: pre2.003-0slink1
  architectures: source, all
  update type: semi-security
      documentation for epic fix

  package: mailman
  version: 1.0rc2-5
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, m68k, sparc
  update type: security
      fixed version of security-fix (remote exploit iirc)

  package: apt
  version: 0.3.11
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: upgrade/install updates
    fixes a bunch of bugs, probably very useful for people doing upgrades.
    Check with Jason on how to fix the apt-removes-bash-bug first though

  package: imap
  version: 4.5-0slink3
  architectures: source, alpha, m68k, sparc, i386
  update type: security
      fixed security-fix for remote exploit

  package: exim
  version: 2.05-2
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha
  update type: grave bug
      fix two major bugs in slink version, one of which caused mail lossage

  package: isdnutils
  version: 1:3.0-12slink13
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, sparc
  update type: security
      xmonisdn called scripts were insecurely

  package: man-db
  version: 2.3.10-69FIX.1
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: security
      open temporary files safely

  package: procmail
  version: 3.13.1-1
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, m68k, sparc
  update type: security
      various nasty security fixes

  package: rsync
  versin: 2.3.1-0.slink.1
  architectures: source, i386, m68k
  update type: security
      fix security problem with updates in some conditions

  package: smtp-refuser
  version: 1.0.1
  architectures: source, i386, alpha, m68k, sparc
  update type: security
      fix logging which allowed deleting arbitraty files

  package: tkdesk
  version: 1.1-2
  architectures: source, i386, m68k
  update type: security
      fix symlink attack

  packge: jadetex
  version: 2.2-1
  architectures: source, all
  update type: important bugfix
      slink version was quite broken..

  package: lam
  version: 6.1-9
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, sparc, alpha
  update type: important bugfix
      slink version was quite useless..

  package: makedev
  version: 2.3.1-23
  architectures: source, all
  update type: important bugfix
      fix some stupid and really nasty bugs, especially for sparc

  package: open
  version: 1.4-10.1
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: important bugfix
      undo previous changes which broke open in slink

  package: sendmail
  version: 8.9.3-3
  architectures: source, alpha, i386, m68k, sparc
  update type: important bugfix
      allow .forward to work on group-writeable homedirs by default. otherwise
      no user could use .forward files since homedirs are made groupwriteable

  package: libdb
  version: 1.85.4-4
  architectures: alpha
  update type: security
      don't build broken snprintf, which ignores the bounds check, making programs
      which just *happen* to use libdb vulnerable...

  package: man2html
  version: 1.5-18.1
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: security
      Fixes /tmp race

  package: trn
  version: 3.6-9.3.1
  architectures: source, i386, m68k, alpha, sparc
  update type: security
      Fixes /tmp race

  package: boot-floppies
  version: 2.1.9.1
  architectures: m68k (others aren't changed)
  update type: fixed install
      update various bugs in the m68k install

  package: selfhtml
  version: 7.0-3
  architectures: source, all
  update type: security
      Fixes patent problem

[ Not yet uploaded

  packge: telnet/d, telnet/d-ssl
  version:
  architectures:
  update type: security
     Fixes exploitable bug in connection with termcap/-info.
]

2. Packages removed from proposed-updates

  These packages are rejected and will also be removed from the
  proposed-updates directory.

  package: libc6
  version: 2.0.7.19981211-6.1
  architectures: m68k (only m68k updates)
  update type: ?
    update m68k support, fixes hwclock amongs other things

  package: egcs
  version: 1.1.2-0slink2
  architectures: i386, m68k
  update type nonbeta release
    final 1.1.2 release, small update from beta version in slink

  package: lsof
  version: 4.37-4
  architectures: i386, m68k
  update type: semi-security
    a fix for a previous security update1

  package: lprng
  version: 3.5.2-2
  architectures: m68k, sparc
  update type: security
    don't allow connections from unprivilidged by default, no source available

  package: ascdc
  version: 0.3-5.1
    minor bugfix, doesn't fit update criteria

  package: auto-pgp
  version: 1.04-2
    minor bugfix, doesn't fit update criteria

  package: bsdgames-nonfree
  version: 2.5-2
    minor bugfix, doesn't fit update criteria

  package: dhcpcd
  version: 1:0.70-5
    minor bugfix (tokenring support fixed), doesn't fit update criteria

  package: dmalloc
  version: 3.3.1-3
    minor bugfix (small manpage update), doesn't fit update criteria

  package: dpkg
  version: 1.4.0.35
    disabling gettext is a nasty surprised for a lot of people.. I think
    we are better of with the few bugreport we are getting

  package: fidogate
  version: 4.2.8-4
    bugfixes meant for unstable

  package: frotz
  version: 2.32r2-12
    recompile only to remove the versioned libc dependency, which
    doesn't hurt
    us anyway

  package: ftape
  version: 4.03pre2.1999.04.25-1
    major update over slink, don't think it meets the update criteria

  package: fvwm2
  version: 2.0.46-BETA-3.1
    some alpha update, but I'm not convinced we need to include it. We
    should probably check with some alpha people for this one

  package: gdb
  version: 4.17-4.m68k.objc.threads.hwwp.fpu.gnat.3.1
    some sparc update, but I'm not convinced we need to include it. We
    should probably check with some sparc people for this one

  package: gettyps
  version: 2.0.7j-7
    fixes a normal bug, ie doesn't fit update criteria

  package: infocom
  version: 4.01pl2-7
    should have only been uploaded to unstable, doesn't fix anything
    important

  package: inform
  version: 6.14-4
    should have only been uploaded to unstable, doesn't fix anything

  package: kdrill
  version: 4.0-1
    new package, should have been uploaded only to unstable

  package: kernel-image-2.0.36-amiga
  version: 2.0.36-2
    only fixes broken driver, is available in potato as well

  package: kernel-source-2.2.5
  version: 2.2.5-2
    bugfixes

  package: libpcap
  version: 0.4a6-2.1
    update for a non-released architecture only

  package: linuxlogo
  version:  various
    minor updates only

  package: mingetty
  version: 0.9.4-3.2
    update for a non-released architecture only

  package: nana
  version: 2.3-1
    new upstream version, no bugfixes

  package: yorick
  version: 1.4-12
    changelog doesn't say enough to warrant inclusion imho

Regards,

	Joey
	Debian Security Team

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto