Re: RfD: Preparing Debian 2.1r3

> > >   package: makedev
> > >   version: 2.3.1-23
> > >   architectures: source, all
> > >   update type: important bugfix
> > >       fix some stupid and really nasty bugs, especially for sparc
> >
> > This one is important for sparc (remember sparc was released) and
> > fixes the generation of some important devices

The last makedev for slink is 2.3.1-19.  The really critical changes
came in 2.3.1-21:

  * make /dev/mouse a symlink to /dev/sunmouse on sparc, closes 35616
  * have postinst create audio devices, closes 35646
  * add support for hd[ijkl]... noticed while investigating bug 33798

The lack of /dev/mouse on sparc is itself sufficient reason.  X11 and
gpm do not function on installation without these.

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
> Which one, why is it important?  I doubt that new boot-floppies will
> be created so sparc installations will suffer from the same problem
> as well.  I also don't know if there will be new cd images created.

I've been talking to the SPARC boot-floppies maintainer, Eric
Delauney, and he is busy updating his local archive and rebuilding
boot-floppies 2.2.11 with new stuff from proposed updates.