/dev/ entries for sound devices

Has anyone besides me ever had problems with sound
devices in 2.1R2 i386?  When I installed 2.1R2, it did not create the /dev/dsp,
/dev/mixer, /dev/audio, or /dev/sound entries...  I had to create them myself.

Did I miss installing a package?

Thanks

<PRE>
 Fun Stuff: C/C++, Java, HTML/CSS, CGI, UNIX, Internet, Ein
C| Tim Duchene              <linuxman@worldwebcafe.com>  |t
f|         PGP key is available at my webserver:         |e
f|             http://www.kewlness.net                   |n
i|          Debian Linux: Linux as it Should Be          |,
ne,Anime, Star Wars, Tolkien, Brooks, Homer, Virgil, Hawkin
</PRE>