Re: gcj and /usr/lib/libz.so

On Monday 23 August 1999, at 16 h 38, the keyboard of weidner@ifi.unizh.ch
(Harald Weidner) wrote:

> I recently tested the GNU Java compiler gcj on a Debian potato
> system. There were gcj 1:2.95.1-0pre2 and zlib1g 1:1.1.3-4
> installed. I got an error message complaining that the file
> /usr/lib/libz.so could not be found.

What was the exact command line?

> I filed a bug against package zlib1g, and got the answer that
> this is correct, and I should install zlib1g-dev.

gcj works fine, no my potato machine, without zlib1g-dev.

ii  gcj             2.95.1-0pre2   The GNU compiler for Java(TM).
ii  libgcj0         2.95-3         Java runtime library for use with gcj
ii  libgcj0-dev     2.95-3         Java runtime library for use with gcj
ii  zlib1g          1.1.3-4        compression library - runtime

> 1. Is it correct to install a -dev package just to use another
>    package (gcj) expecting a library?

No.

> 1a. If it is correct, why does gcj not depend on zlib1g-dev?

Because it works fine without it.

> In other words: against which package has a bug report to be filed?

Not yet. Tell us (debian-java is probably the best place) what command you typed and what error message you get.