gcj and /usr/lib/libz.so

Hello,

I recently tested the GNU Java compiler gcj on a Debian potato
system. There were gcj 1:2.95.1-0pre2 and zlib1g 1:1.1.3-4
installed. I got an error message complaining that the file
/usr/lib/libz.so could not be found.

Indeed, there were libz.so.1.1.3 and, as a symlink, libz.so.1
present in /usr/lib, but no libz.so.

I filed a bug against package zlib1g, and got the answer that
this is correct, and I should install zlib1g-dev.

Now my questions are:

1. Is it correct to install a -dev package just to use another
   package (gcj) expecting a library? I always thought that
   -dev packages contain header files and documentation for
   the development of C programs using the library routines.

1a. If it is correct, why does gcj not depend on zlib1g-dev?

2. Which symlinks should be there if a packages installs a
   libxy.so.a.b.c? libxy.so? libxy.so.a? libxy.so.a.b? Should
   gcj better call libz.so.1 instead of libz.so?

In other words: against which package has a bug report to be filed?

Harald