Re: gcj and /usr/lib/libz.so

Hello,

Stephane Bortzmeyer  <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:

>> I recently tested the GNU Java compiler gcj on a Debian potato
>> system. There were gcj 1:2.95.1-0pre2 and zlib1g 1:1.1.3-4
>> installed. I got an error message complaining that the file
>> /usr/lib/libz.so could not be found.
>
>What was the exact command line?

weidner@sinus1 ~/devel/java$ cat hello.java
class hello {
  public static void main(String argv[]) {
    System.out.println("Hello, World");
  }
}
weidner@sinus1 ~/devel/java$ gcj --main=hello -o hello hello.java
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lz: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>gcj works fine, no my potato machine, without zlib1g-dev.

Do you have /usr/lib/libz.so on your machine? Which package creates
it?

>> In other words: against which package has a bug report to be filed?
>
>Not yet. Tell us (debian-java is probably the best place) what command
>you typed and what error message you get.

I already got a mail from one of the gcj packages responsibles
telling me that the next release of gjc will depend on zlib1g-dev.
So, from my point of view, this matter is closed.

Harald