Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 08:43:18AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> line). Then we know that what we exec is actually a shell (unless somebody
> puts something weird as a root's shell - but that's not our problem) and we
> can forget about the case as above with a perl/whatever script returning a
> 127 error code. Either way, the error code _bears_ a possibility of being
> returned by the dynamic loader and it's better to be safe than sorry.

That wasn't the point. Did you try what I wrote? The point was that
bash's return code is the return code of the program last executed by
bash--it's not necessarily something determined by bash itself. You
can't rely on the content of bash's return code because you have *no*
control over what I run in my bash session, or what it might return. And
no, it's not better to be safe than sorry if your idea of "safe" has the
possiblity of starting *two* shells when I use root's shell.

Mike Stone