Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On 23-Aug-99, 01:55 (CDT), Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.net.pl> wrote:
> * Steve Greenland said:
>> Marek Habersack wrote:
> > > Debian survives - I checked it :)). As I said, at home my root
> > > shell is sash - crontabs and everything else works just fine.
> >
> > No, *your* particular instance of Debian survived. *Your* crontabs
> > worked fine.
> Checked also on three other Debian systems. On each and every of them Vixie
> cron uses /bin/sh to execute those crontabs. *Always*

You've still missed the point: proof by example is fundamentally flawed.
Saying "it works on my system (and a few others), therefore it will
work on all Debian systems" (which is what was implied by your original
statement) is not an acceptable argument.

OTOH, an analysis of the affected subsystems ("cron uses /bin/sh to
execute crontabs, not root's shell") *is* a valid argument. But that's
not what you said originally.

None the less, FWIW, I'm with Craig on this one: if you folks want to
set up some extra packages that result in a bunch of statically tools,
that's fine, but I strongly object to changing the base setup for such a
low value proposition (in my experience).

Steve