Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 01:43:13PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:

> > >    -- root's shell be set to sash by default, if sash is installed
> >
> > NO!  that would be a big mistake. this shouldn't be done for the same
> > reason that you shouldn't change root's shell on solaris or sco to bash.
> > we'd have enough trouble with bashisms in root cron jobs even if we
> > switched to a posix sh, switching root's shell to sash would likely be a
> > disaster (i'm disturbed even by the fact that the postinst for sash asks
> > if it should change root's shell to sash!)
>
> No, Craig, it won't influence any scripts at all. /bin/sh won't point
> to /bin/sash, sash will be used only for root, all the scripts will
> invoke /bin/{ba|a,c}sh - whatever /bin/sh points to. I think sash
> should be root shell.

you are making the mistake of assuming that every system is set up
exactly like yours and that other system admins will not write their
root crontab file to take advantage of the fact that root's sh is bash.

changing root's shell on ANY system is not a thing to be done lightly,
and the longer a system has been in use, the more likely things are to
break when arbitrary changes are made.

there is no good reason for changing root's shell to /bin/sash - a
'sashroot' login is sufficient.

craig

--
craig sanders