itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

OK, is there anyone who disagrees with this:

   -- sash becomes an "important" package so that it is installed
      by default. people who know that their systems will never
      fail can deselect it, but by default you get it

   -- we figure out what additional tools are required in order to
      get a root shell and repair a system, whatever sash does not
      already supply, and add that to some /sbin directory. Some
      examples: something to unpack archives (could be added to sash);
      as well as ensuring that you can get to sash as root: su,
      and sulogin will have to have static versions as well. In fact
      these are run so rarely I don't see why they can't be static
      by default--but if people yell, we can have separate static
      versions.

   -- root's shell be set to sash by default, if sash is installed

That seems like an initial first step that would solve a lot of the
problems I've talked about. It doesn't solve them all, but if we
can agree on this we'll all be better off.

I'd still want to argue for more than this, but let's get this
done first.

The rest of what I want: less dependencies in the package manager;
including that once the install scripts no longer use bashisms (already
planned), the installer should no longer depend on bash, but rather
on something less likely to be upgraded, like ash. And you all know
I think the package manager shouldn't depend on dynamic libc.

However, it is one giant step forward to get the stuff above into
the system if everyone agrees.

Does anybody disagree?

If so please say what is wrong with the idea.

Justin