Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 08:18:39PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 05:47:35PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> > Well, some of us had also other experiences - broken inter-library dynamic
> > dependencies, bugs in the standard dynamically linked shells preventing them
> > from working properly, damage of the root filesystem and probably a few more
> > that don't fall into the category you mentioned above.
>
> Well I was not precise enough in my original mail. I meant that usually root
> DID something to trigger the problem, i.e. root was logged in.

This is not true -- I, for one, do all my administration through sudo, and
very, very rarely actually log in as root.  This means that when the process
that created the problems (like, say, and apt-get upgrade) exits, I'm back
at my normal unprivileged prompt, and sudo doesn't work anymore.  I suppose
that one could argue that this means sudo is a bad tool, but even then, there
are other classes of problems that could happen without having root logged in;
partial hardware failure, for example.

-- Nathaniel