Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 06:11:27PM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> >    -- we figure out what additional tools are required in order to
> >       get a root shell and repair a system, whatever sash does not
> >       already supply, and add that to some /sbin directory.

> yep. 'ar' is the most obvious one. fdisk or sfdisk, e2fsck and mke2fs as
> well. 'mount' is in sash but it might be worthwhile having a static bin
> too.

ar I can see adding.

fdisk and e2fsck are outside the scope of what sash is supposed to
deal with.  And you really wouldn't want to have to trust a sash
reimplementation of e2fsck.

> and maybe a text editor (elvis-tiny, nvi, or vim-tty...and/or ae, joe,
> or ee). 'ed' is in sash but it's not exactly pleasant to use.

sash is not supposed to be pleasant to use.

> >    -- root's shell be set to sash by default, if sash is installed
>
> NO!  that would be a big mistake. this shouldn't be done for the same
> reason that you shouldn't change root's shell on solaris or sco to bash.
> we'd have enough trouble with bashisms in root cron jobs even if we
> switched to a posix sh, switching root's shell to sash would likely be a
> disaster (i'm disturbed even by the fact that the postinst for sash asks
> if it should change root's shell to sash!)

For the record, I'm disturbed by this as well, but I'm still (after a year)
not sure what I'm going to do about it.

This discussion has prompted me to think about this problem differently,
however.

--
Raul