Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Michael Meskes said:
> > The thing is we want to avoid booting and thus we need a way to get onto the
> > root account (or sashroot) from your shell prompt when dynamics are broken -
> > you need su (or similar) for that.
>
> I beg to disagree. The only cases I saw so far where the system was hosed to
> an extend that life recovery was needed and still possible was when root did
> something wrong or stupid. In that case you do not need to login anymore.
Well, some of us had also other experiences - broken inter-library dynamic
dependencies, bugs in the standard dynamically linked shells preventing them
from working properly, damage of the root filesystem and probably a few more
that don't fall into the category you mentioned above.

marek