Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Craig Sanders said:

> > Well, after thinking about all what was written in this thread, I must
> > agree with you. sash isn't required to be root's shell - it's enough
> > if it is available and one can use it even if dynamics fail or in
> > single mode (the bootmanager issue mentioned earlier in the thread).
>
> cool. my goal in this thread is to see you and justin get the extras
> that you want, but without breaking anything, and without forcing it on
> those who don't want it.
That's my goal as well, but there's also another one - we have to take into
account newbie admins and, after all, every linux user - even on desktop at
home, is its admin per se. So, there must be some means to make life for
those rookies easier without sacrificing flexibility and level of security
other, more experienced, admins want.

> i am, as justin suggested in another message, conservatively paranoid
> when it comes to systems. i see no reason to make arbitrary changes
> unless there is a certainty that it will not break anything - in
Well, I'm positive that changing the root's login shell won't break anything
in the STANDARD Debian installation, but it's not required :)

> particular, upgrading or installing a package should not mysteriously
> cause other things to break or behave differently.
Unless the upgrade reveals actual bugs, not just breaks things...

marek