Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Justin Wells said:

> Hi Craig,
>
> Actually, cron always uses /bin/sh unless you override it, no matter
> what roots shell actually is. From the crontab(5) manpage:
>        Several environment variables are set up automatically by
>        the cron(8) daemon.  SHELL is set to /bin/sh, and  LOGNAME
>        and  HOME  are  set  from  the  /etc/passwd  line  of  the
>        crontab's owner. PATH is set  to  "/usr/bin:/bin".   HOME,
>        SHELL,  and  PATH  may  be  overridden  by settings in the
>        crontab; LOGNAME may not.
>
> So, unless you specifically set another SHELL in your crontab
> entries, cron will use /bin/sh.
Well, yes... It seems that cron does just that :)). So the problem is gone
:)). Frankly, it wouldn't be too wise if cron relied upon the validity of
the root's shell as set in the /etc/passwd... I know admins who are so
paranoid they set /bin/false as their root shell and then use su to
explicitly exec tcsh,bash whatever... And the crontabs still work.

marek