Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Michael Stone said:

> > And, from my experience, I know that most users don't read manuals... :((
> > And the BOFH+RTFM approach doesn't buy Debian new users.
>
> I think that it's reasonable to assume that people who don't know what
> they're doing and won't read manuals fall into the MS-style "reinstall
> the system" category. AFAIK, there is no simple, mechanical approach to
> repairing an arbitrarily broken system and thus no way to document such
> a process.
yes, that's unfortunately true. But it is good to show the users that some
steps may be taken BY THEM before a reinstall is needed (and the *nix system
must be REALLY fubar to require a reinstall). I think it would be possible
to create a diagnostic program which, statically linked of course, would
produce a report on the system status and suggest some steps.

marek