Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 02:58:58PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> It should be in the initial README of the Debian distro, or, even better,
> such a possibility should be announced on the initial install screen, just
> after the license screen. It should do nothing more than tell the user where
> to look for the emergency instructions and advising to print a short file
> from the distribution media with detailed HOWTO.
[snip]
> And, from my experience, I know that most users don't read manuals... :((
> And the BOFH+RTFM approach doesn't buy Debian new users.

I think that it's reasonable to assume that people who don't know what
they're doing and won't read manuals fall into the MS-style "reinstall
the system" category. AFAIK, there is no simple, mechanical approach to
repairing an arbitrarily broken system and thus no way to document such
a process.

Mike Stone