Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 09:32:28AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 06:11:27PM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> > OK, is there anyone who disagrees with this:
> >
> >    -- sash becomes an "important" package so that it is installed
> >       by default. people who know that their systems will never
> >       fail can deselect it, but by default you get it
>
> default or non-default is not the point - the existence of an optional
> static bins package is sufficient. those who want it can have it, those
> who don't can ignore it.

Yes it is the point. I claim that most people won't know they want it
until their system fails, at which point they have no choice.

> >    -- we figure out what additional tools are required in order to
> >       get a root shell and repair a system, whatever sash does not
> >       already supply, and add that to some /sbin directory.
>
> yep. 'ar' is the most obvious one. fdisk or sfdisk, e2fsck and mke2fs as
> well. 'mount' is in sash but it might be worthwhile having a static bin
> too.

Sounds good!

> and maybe a text editor (elvis-tiny, nvi, or vim-tty...and/or ae, joe,
> or ee). 'ed' is in sash but it's not exactly pleasant to use.

ed really sucks, but it will do in a pinch. A small static vi or ee
would be nice.

> >    -- root's shell be set to sash by default, if sash is installed
>
> NO!  that would be a big mistake. this shouldn't be done for the same
> reason that you shouldn't change root's shell on solaris or sco to bash.
> we'd have enough trouble with bashisms in root cron jobs even if we
> switched to a posix sh, switching root's shell to sash would likely be a
> disaster (i'm disturbed even by the fact that the postinst for sash asks
> if it should change root's shell to sash!)

There has to be a way for root to get a shell going when the dynamics
have failed, or else there is absolutely no point in installing sash.
You probably also need a static su and sulogin.

A static ash as root's shell might be the thing then, though we would
have to wait until the bash-isms were eliminated to make it effective,
and between now and then possibly have a second root user with a static
shell.

Justin