Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:

> > can tell, there's a small disk space cost (about 200K per binary) and no
> > memory cost. There was some grumbling about the effort involved, but I
> > think that was without a full understanding of what was involved.
>
>     No memory cost?  Care to rethink that again?

I have been rethinking it, but as far as I can tell from reading the ldso
source and from knowing a little bit about how linkers work, there is no
RAM benefit from using shared libraries. The benefit is on the maintenance
side, having shared code sitting in a single file. If you can point me to
a page that explains where I'm wrong (if I am), then please do.