Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 12:44:50PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I have apparently misunderstood the trust of the proposal then. I thought
> the desire being expressed on this thread was to make it so the install
> _couldn't_ break in the fashion we have seen with bash.

Hmm..

The fundamental issue, as I see it, is robustness of Debian systems
under a variety of circumstances.

So, I think it's apropos to consider a variety of circumstances..

> > [We do have a "boot with the rescue disk" comment somewhere, but
> > there's no signficant cookbook of advice for dealing with common
> > situations, and we have no useful recommendations for headless
> > machines.]
>
> I remember us having this discussion just a few weeks ago under the
> thread:
>
>    Possible ITP: Rescue Package
>
> and we decided that sash was sufficient for most purposes, and that a
> static sulogin might be useful as well as a static editor. We never
> discussed making a static dpkg or apt, or any other "core" programs as
> that doesn't seem to be required.

That feels right.

> > Maybe in my fabulous free time...

> I believe Joseph Carter is the person to contact. He said he was still
> interested in the Rescue Package concept, and probably has the same
> "free time" problem ;-)

Heh.. well, if he's already working on it I don't have a lot to add
at the moment.

Thanks,

--
Raul