Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 10:11:51AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> Now if apt-get, fsck, dpkg, /bin/sh, ifconfig, route, ping, fsck,
> mount, umount, mke2fs, dump, restore, ps, ln, and dd were somehow
> performance-critical applications you might have some kind of point:
> running 1000 simultaneous copies of mke2fs might be a problem if
> it were statically linked. All of these binaries are very small,
> though, most only one or two hundred K at most--so even then I
> would guess your average modern machine could handle it.

I'd also note that the overhead imposed on a system by being Debian
(the existence of /var/lib/dpkg/*, packages being an atomic unit of
installed software, etc.) is already far greater than the size impact
of having critical system resources dynamically linked.

Thanks,

--
Raul