Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Dale Scheetz said:

> > On the other hand, Debian's documentation on what to do when the
> > system goes south is rather limited.
> I have apparently misunderstood the trust of the proposal then. I thought
> the desire being expressed on this thread was to make it so the install
> _couldn't_ break in the fashion we have seen with bash.
Well, as far as I am concerned, I worry about bash and a basic set of
utilities, not about install, apt, dpkg etc. In case of failure you must
have an operable shell and at least a few utilities: ln, cp, mv, tar, mount,
some reasonable editor. Yes, sash has most of them, that's good - but sash
won't work when init breaks (yes, I can hear you saying "you can always pass
the 'init=/bin/sash' parameter to the kernel - and it is IMPOSSIBLE to do
when you use a standard LILO installation - it doesn't allow the user to
provide kernel params, it's not interactive). So, see my suggestion in one
of the earlier mails to provide a selection for the bootmanager menu to
invoke it just with one line entered on the bootprompt and a static init and
sash. Is my suggestion so stupid it cannot be taken upon consideration?

> > [We do have a "boot with the rescue disk" comment somewhere, but
> > there's no signficant cookbook of advice for dealing with common
> > situations, and we have no useful recommendations for headless
> > machines.]
> I remember us having this discussion just a few weeks ago under the
> thread:
>    Possible ITP: Rescue Package
> and we decided that sash was sufficient for most purposes, and that a
> static sulogin might be useful as well as a static editor. We never
> discussed making a static dpkg or apt, or any other "core" programs as
> that doesn't seem to be required.
I agree as long as dpkg, apt etc. are concerned. But init, sulogin and sash
are a must.